Sunday, April 18, 2010

Vegetarian Delights




When I am not feeling 100%, I usually avoid proteins. When I have no appetite, the meat thing can spoil any thoughts I have about being nourished. So today, I decided to try a vegetarian dish in my head and of course to share it here with you. I started with some bell peppers, hollowed them out, just cutting off the tops to save them for the cooking process. I zapped them in the microwave for about 2 minutes just to make them a little softer and then filled them with cooked rice, a large can of diced tomatoes, some fresh basil and rosemary, a large spanish onion chopped finely, a few cups of frozen peas and frozen yellow squash, a can of mexican corn (just yellow corn with some tossed in red pepper, so so good) and some green beans from a can. I filled the peppers, put them in a crock pot and then set them on high to cook covering them with a few cans of tomato puree. Let it cook about 5 or 6 hours or until the whole house smells like pepper and they are fork tender. If you are looking for a more meaty dish, adding a few cups of chopped portabello mushrooms really ads a protein feel to the whole thing. Don't over do the salt and pepper, better to be creative by throwing in a bay leaf on top of the dish while it's cooking then remove it right before you eat. I am trying to cook with less salt and have even experimented with a few of the Mrs. Dash products. I am thinking I will try to make a few of my own dash type things once them herbs are all grown in.

I started some pots of the herbs already so that I can keep them in the window and when I am sure we aren't getting any more cold weather I will throw them outside in the ground and start some late summer plants in the pots. Of course, I've started planting I couldn't stop myself. I found my way over to the Lowe's Garden department and found some single bulb tulips and daffodils that were just ready to bloom so I have a general idea that they will come back next year. If you have any vegetarian dish ideas, drop me a note and I will include them to share with everyone. Enjoy the day.

Carrie

No comments: