Friday, January 30, 2009

Valentines and Tragic Love


What are we so drawn to tragic love?

See, how she leans her cheek upon her hand!
O that I were a glove upon that hand,
That I might touch that cheek! Romeo and Juliet. ACT II Scene 2.

Yes, even I have fallen victim to the attraction of tragic love. It's so easy, tragic love is quick and even when you want it to last forever, we go into it knowing it has it's flaws and will burn itself out quickly leaving commitment fall to the wayside. When you are into the every day of life it is hard to be thrilled by the way he stands with his hand on his hip or the way he warms up the car on cold winter mornings. As we grow used to love, the simple things that give us joy seem harder to find.

Alack, there lies more peril in thine eye
Than twenty of their swords. Romeo and Juliet. ACT II Scene 2.

Oh the bittersweet chocolate of love, to want someone to be proud they love you, to want them to adore you, even more than you adore yourself. I know that what I wanted to love me changed from when I was 20 and today. Today I love the man with a smart edge. I love his calm cool collective nature even when things are harried. I love the man who would do what is right even at his own self sacrifice and as Isak Dennison wrote of, a man who knew that loving me would have a cost. Love isn't free, it costs the most secret passionate part of yourself to give someone those pieces of yourself that are difficult to part with. The risk of peril makes you brave and if it doesn't kill you could save you I suppose.

This bud of love, by summer’s ripening breath,
May prove a beauteous flower when next we meet. Romeo and Juliet. ACT II Scene 2.

This quote is what inspired today's little post. I was thinking back to men and even women that I love and have loved and pondered again about the incidental circumstances that drew me to them and how I'd look for them again as though being with them was part of a childhood ritual. We seek out that hedonistic sense that gives us happiness no matter the cost, the mighty hunter that is our heart. I will love because love is the only way to connect with someone who is going to be around in my life. All other contacts are just little life passages that will be covered over with sand and dust and time. The people that I love become part of me. I will put on the helmet, pick up the sonnet and wander forward into the wilderness of love and adoration.

Ok, enough of William and quotes of love and fascination. I am off to work. If you'd like to see more of my art, you can find me at www.poetsummer.etsy.com. If you'd like to reach me you can find me at Summerpoet@msn.com. Thanks for your time. Carrie

No comments: